


Well, with a mandatory evacuation being placed on our parish, my fear of storms, and the guaranteed loss of electricity, the children and I evacuated for Hurricane Gustav. However, Victor stayed behind to protect the house from the threat of looters after the storm passed. The majority of the animals accompanied the kids and I on the evacuation also- they are my kids too just in a different sense! We initially had plans of going to Memphis, TN to stay with my late uncle's girlfriend. However, about half way there, Hayley got car sick and threw up all over the van. We stopped at the very next exit where all there was was a Super 8 motel. Out of disgust, stress, and anxiety, my mom and I stayed at the motel for the night and continued to Memphis in the morning. However, with both children and all of the pets, we were only welcome to stay 1 night in Memphis. So then, the kids and I traveled to Rogersville, Al where we stayed at Joe Wheeler State Park in a cabin for 2 nights. In the meantime, I had no communication with Victor and the last text I received from him said that things were getting pretty scary at the house and one of our sheds had blown away. I went 24 hours without any communications from him and was getting increasingly concerned when he was finally able to call by driving about 30 miles north of our house. I also finally got in touch with our electric company and they said it could take 3 weeks before our electricity was restored. With that news, I decided to drive to NC to stay at my Dad's house until we could go home. And then, once our power was restored, the had Hurricane Ike centered for La so we stayed a few more days to wait out Ike, which hit Texas and only caused tropical storm strength winds and rain at our house.

No comments:
Post a Comment